Homemade Mulled Apple Cider (With Vanilla and Nutmeg)
Recipe by Jacob Scheer
- 1/2 gal cider or apple juice
- 1 orange or tangerine
- 1/2 a cap or less pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Sliced apples (optional)
- Pour cider into pot.
- Zest the peel of the orange with a cheese grater. If you can’t zest, squeeze 1/8 – 1/4 orange and drop slice into pot to boil in with ingredients.
- Add a small amount of each spice into the pot. If you have coffee filters or empty tea bags (or other porous material you can boil in high temperatures), use these to hold the spices inside. You can tie the coffee filter and let it sink to the bottom. Otherwise, you may want to strain your cider before serving.
- Once the cider has reached a rolling boil, you are done!
- Garnish with sliced apples.
Some people own tea straining contraptions that you can boil your spices inside. If you have one of these, you can use it.